In most cases, high cholesterol is an indication of an unhealthy lifestyle of fatty foods and lack of exercise. Over time, fat deposits accumulate in your blood vessels, making you more prone to heart disease and stroke (1). While many Americans rely on cholesterol-lowering medication, these drugs have recently come under fire for their many side-effects and health risks.
While the best way to manage high cholesterol is to eat well, relax and workout, you may need an extra boost to help you in you health journey. Here’s an easy recipe that will clear your arteries right up!
German Cholesterol Tonic
The following recipe has been passed down for centuries in Germany. It’s been used to heal many diseases related to cholesterol, fatigue, cold and even infections.
In addition to being helpful against high cholesterol levels, this recipe can also boost your immune system and detox your liver.
- 4 organic lemons, with peel
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 4 whole garlic
- 2 liters (½ gallon) water
- Wash the lemons and slice thinly.
- Peel and crush the garlic, setting it aside to activate its protective compounds.
- Place everything but the water in a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a small saucepan.
- Once boiling, add the blended mixture to your water and stir. Boil for 5-10, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Once cooled, strain the liquid and pour into glass jars with lids.
- Drink one jar of the liquid on an empty stomach two hours before every meal for 3 weeks. If needed, take a spoonful of honey after each glass to chase away the taste.
- Next, take a week off and repeat the treatment for 3 more weeks.
You’ll feel the results in no time!
Ginger improves cardiovacular health by preventing atherosclerosis, lowering cholesterol levels, and preventing the oxidation of low density lipoprotein (LDL). In fact, the root reduces cholesterol-related blood vessel damage by 44% and LDL levels by 33% (2).
Ginger also helps regulate clot clotting to prevent heart attack or stroke as well as lower blood sugar level to help manage type 2 diabetes (3). It can even boost your immune system and fight off infection.
Lemon contains vitamin C, which lipids and cholesterol in the blood with just 30 days of daily ingestion. Combine with vitamin E, vitamin C can reduce LDL levels by 20-30%. Pectin in the pulp also helps to reduce cholesterol levels by up to 11% (4).
Garlic lowers total cholesterol and prevents arterial plaque build-up by preventing platelets form sticking together and restricting blood flow (5). Garlic is also a potent antibiotic.